Since 1999 Chateau Fombrauge has been a small piece of the empire of the entrepreneur, Bernard Magrez, but significant as one of the Bordeaux Grand Cru estates under his management; classified in 2012. Historical documents mention Fombrauge in the late fifteenth century but was not recognised for producing wine. Eventually, in 1760, it became the site of a school of agriculture, something which benefited the vineyards greatly, seeing modern winemaking practices being exercised on its grounds. During the French Revolution, the owner was guillotined and the property was nationalised for fourteen years between 1794 and 1808 until the deceased's children claimed it back. In 1867, Chateau Fombrauge would receive a gold medal at the World Exhibition in Paris, marking the start of a new golden age for the estate.