The Fronsac estate was established with the construction of a chateau in 1750 by the lawyer and politician Jean-Baptiste de Richon. Shortly after construction was completed, the estate was visited by Dauphine Maria Josepha of Saxony. A royal connection elevated the reputation of the estate and in honour of her visit, the property was named Chateau de La Dauphine.
Today the property is owned by the Labrune family, founders of a tech company, who are keen to continue producing high quality wines which express their terroir. The 53 hectares of vineyards are planted to 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc.