Glen Mhor Distillery (pronounced by purists as Glen Vor), was named after the Great Glen that flowed west to Fort William. Birnie and Mackinlay built it in 1892 and from that time until 1972 the distillery was managed by the Birnie family. Glen Mhor Distillery had once been powered by a water turbine and had also been the first distillery to exercise the use of malting in Saladin boxes. Its outstanding flavour proved greatly popular as a single malt even when the market was dominated by blends. In 1972 the distillery was bought by DCL but sadly closed in 1983 and was demolished 3 years later.