The wine of Clos des Papes was first released in 1896, an unusual estate at the time for producing, bottling and selling their own wine under the lead of Paul Avril, one of the architects of the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. Paul Vincent Avril took command of Clos des Papes in 1988 after training at numerous wineries including Chateau Mouton Rothschild. His style demands 100% destemming of grapes, never using new oak barrels and never intends to produce a premium label wine.
Currently, the estate covers 32 hectares across 24 individual parcels in Chateauneuf du Pape, 90% of which is devoted to a red blend. Additionally, a declassified Chateauneuf du Pape, Petit Vin d'Avril is produced from excess fruit.