Between 1914 and 1983, wine production and bottling at Chateau L'Eglise-Clinet was left to negotiants, as the family owners, descendants of Jean Rouchut, were more focused on farming than winemaking. All changed when Denis Durantou took charge and devoted himself to totally replacing and restoring the winemaking facilities, including a solid floor for the cellar! Starting in 1985, Chateau L'Eglise-Clinet has been gradually enhancing its quality and reputation and is now among the greatest wine estates in Pomerol!
The roots of Chateau L'Eglise-Clinet are first seen in 1803 when a parcel of vineyard, Clos L'Eglise, was purchased by Jean Rouchut, owner of a number of estates in Pomerol. Almost 100 years later, in 1882, the family inherited the Domaine de Clinet, giving birth to Clos L'Eglise-Clinet, which would be retitled to Chateau L'Eglise-Clinet in 1950.
The vineyard currently covers 4.4. hectares and is planted to 85% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc and 1% Malbec.