Beaucaillou literally means, 'beautiful stones' describing the large round stones which litter the vineyards of the wine estate. In 1795 the estate was sold to Bertrand Ducru, who gave the estate its modern name, and invested heavily in the chateau and vineyard, giving residents and guests an entertaining view of the maritime traffic on the Gironde and seeing the estate classified as a Second Growth in 1855.
It has since passed through multiple others and into the hands of the Borie familiy in 1941 who still live and operate the wine business from the Chateau.
The estate of Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou has 75 hectares under vine which are planted to 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Merlot. Each plot is vinified separately before blending. Depending on the strength of the vintage, the wine is then aged in 50% to 80% new French oak barrels for 18 months.