Chateau Brane Cantenac was founded in the eighteenth century when it was named Hostein. Later bought by the Gorce family, it became one of the second growth estates in the 1855 classification. Its second wine, Baron de Brane, pays hommage to the Baron Jacques-Maxime de Brane who owned the property in the nineteenth century. The current owner, Henri Lurton, follows the previous three generations of his family in encouraging innovation without losing sight of the estate's traditional values.
The Margaux vineyard is planted to 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 4.5% Cabernet Franc and 0.5% Carmenere.