There is evidence of vine growing on the estate from the 12th century, but the modern name is associated with an incredibly successful Scottish wine merchant named John Lewis Brown who came to live in Bordeaux in 1795. He was passionate about wine and art, enthusiasm he passed on to his grandson of the same name. The work of the younger John Lewis Brown can be found in many famous galleries in Europe and in Chateau Cantenac Brown.
In the late 19th century, Chateau Brown was considered among the finest wine estates in Bordeaux, but sadly saw decline which was not reverted until modern times... In 1994 the estate was bought by Bernard Barthe and experienced a renaissance which brought up to date winemaking facilities and considerable investments in the vineyards.
The vineyard of Chateau Brown covers 29 hectares, 24.5 hectares of which are devoted to red grapes, 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, and 4.5 hectares for white grapes, 70% Sauvignon Blanc and 30% Semillon.