Originally producing a second wine for the neighbouring Chateau Lafite, and owned by the famous Marquis Nicholas-Alexandre de Segur, what would become Chateau Duhart-Milon was already being recognised for the quality of its terrior. After coming into the Casteja family through inheritance, the now 40 hectare vineyard was named Duhart-Milon, supposedly after a privateer 'Sieur Duhart' who settled in Pauillac. His house would inspire the image on the label of Chateau Duhart-Milon wines.
A series of short-lived ownerships and natural hindrances after 1937 would see the large estate split and lose all sense of quality. Purchase by the Rothschild family would see a massive investment in the vineyard and winemaking facilities, gradually returning the wines to the quality which earned them classified growth status in 1855.