Created by the noble Lestonnac family in the early years of the sixteenth century, the vineyard of Château La Mission Haut-Brion owes its name and its reputation to the Prêcheurs de la Mission. This was the Bordeaux branch of the Congregation de la Mission de Saint-Lazare, commonly known as the Lazerites. This organisation oversaw the whole estate from 1682 until it was confiscated during the French Revolution.
No one is quite sure why Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion was not listed as one of the Classified Growths of 1855. At the time, its wines were of high quality, were trading at prices which were comparable to those listed as First Growths, and was located within one of the permitted communes. Further confusion is generated with the knowledge that La Mission was awarded the Gold Medal, a mere seven years later, at the 1862 International Exhibition in London.
Today La Mission is still operating as a top level estate. Liv-Ex, the worlds leading exchange for fine wine, reviewed the original 1855 Classification for a modern economic context and included Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion as a Premier Cru estate.