Since the end of the seventeenth century the Chateau Margaux estate has occupied 265 hectares in the Medoc, a third of which are still dedicated to growing vines. This wine estate carries a vast amount of prestige from being rated as a ‘first growth’ in the 1855 classification of the Medoc. The chateau itself has been nicknamed the ‘Versailles of the Medoc” for its neo-Palladian architecture.
The soils of the estate are well suited to the growing of Cabernet Sauvignon and thus it makes up 75% of the plantings. 20% is planted to Merlot with the remainder being Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. A small quantity of Sauvignon Blanc is also planted for the estate’s Pavillon Blanc white.