The first vineyard was planted in Chateau Montrose in 1815 by Etienne Théodore Dumoulin in the Medoc appellation. He sucessfully ran the vineyard until his death in 1861, leaving the current 95 hectare estate to his heirs. Mathieu Dolfus bought the estate in 1966, introducing state of the art technology, and new vine growing and winemaking methods, preserving the vineyard and supporting the workforce. Between 1896 and 2006 the Charmolue family continued to modernise the facilities and produce consistent wines even during challenging periods.
Cabernet Sauvignon dominates the vineyards at 60% of the vines. The remaining space has 32% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. These vines are grown in specific pockets where the soil is ideal.