Initially founded as Chateau de Gascq in 1748 in the Margaux appellation, the estate was sold to an Englishman, Major General Charles Palmer. While through hard work expanding the property and making its wines fashionable in London, Palmer was forced to sell the estate in 1844 to cover his debts. In 1853, the estate came into the hands of two brothers Isaac and Emile Pereire who beautified the estate. The brother’s descendants maintained the estate until the economic crisis in 1930. Four experienced Bordeaux families, Sichel, Mähler-Besse, Ginestet, and Miailhe, formed a syndicate to buy Chateau Palmer and restore it to excellence.
Vines at Chateau Palmer are planted to 47% each of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and 6% of Petit Verdot.