The land, north of Pauillac, where Chateau Pontet-Canet sits was bought in 1705 by Jean Francois de Pontet, Grand Ecuyer to King Louis XV. Expanding into an area known as Canet and growing vines, he gave his name to the estate. In 1855, the estate was classified as a Fifth Growth. In 1865 the estate left the the hands of the de Pontet family and entered the property of Herman Cruse, who's family would manage it until 1975. The third and current owner is Guy Tesseron, a cognac merchant. In recent times, the wines of Chateau Pontet-Canet have gained significant renown.
Chateau Pontet-Canet represents 81 hectares of vines producing grapes to 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot.