Clos des Jacobins is located at the entrance to the medieval town of Saint-Emilion. This plot is found at the foot of the hillside where the natural erosion of the plateau above brings down chunks of limestone which disperse into the clay. These balance soil pH, allowing better access to nutrient minerals for higher quality grapes to make the signature wine.
In 1955, Clos des Jacobins was labeled as a Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classe wine, but shortly afterwards entered a period of decline. However, recent history states that in the 2006 classification, Clos des Jacobins was restored to the status it held in 1955.