Formerly the Domaine Rochet, through marriage, this estate came to be known as Chateau Lafon-Rochet in 1650. While under the ownership of the Lafon family, the estate thrived and was named a Fourth Growth in the 1855 classification of the Medoc.
The modern history starts in 1960 when the Tesseron family of Cognac fame took over control. Renovation and restoration of the entire estate, from the chateau itself to the vineyards and winemaking facilities, was promptly undertaken, vastly improving the quality of the wines. The process took ten years and the results are opaque in the 1970 vintage of the Grand Vin of Chateau Lafon-Rochet.