The property, with 24 hectares of vines, was bought in 1793 by the wine merchant Jean Delbos. In 1960 Delbos’ son, Jean Bouteiller made significant additions from the vineyards of neighbouring chateaus, completing today’s 45 hectares under vine. The Chateau Lanessan itself was designed by Henri Duphot, and completed in 1878 complete with a winemaking cellar.
The 80 hectare Lanessan estate is found within the commune of Cussac-Fort-Medoc near Saint-Julien in the Haut-Medoc appellation. Vines are 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot and 1% Cabernet Franc.