Starting life as Maison Forest-Forneaux, a wine business which sold the still red and white wines of Champagne, and later its sparkling wines. At the centre of the estate was the Chateau de Marquetterie which served as a command post for the French army during the First World War. It was here, in 1915, when a young cavalry officer named Pierre-Charles Taittinger found love in this place and was determined to make it his family home.
Pierre Taittinger created a partnership with his brother-in-law, Paul Eveque and in 1932, the two bought Maison Forest-Forneaux and began the development of the estate and acquired more vineyard plots. After defeat in the Battle of France in 1940 and demobilisation of most of the French Army, Francois Taittinger, Pierre's third son, returned home and began acquiring more responsibilities on the estate. In 1945, at a youthful 24 years old, he was named president of the company which he would rename in honour of his family, Champagne Taittinger. Under his direction, new cellars were established in the Abbey of Saint-Nicaise, and the importance of Chardonnay in the Taittinger style was set. 1952 marked the first vintage of Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs.
Champagne Taittinger was sold to an American private investment firm, Starwood Capital Group, in 2005. They would hold the estate for just under a year before Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger, supported by the Credit Agricole bank, gradually bought back the family business to direct it alongside his two oldest children, Clovis and Vitalie.