Located in Bowling, north-west of Glasgow, Littlemill was officially founded in 1772, its water source a spring in the Kirkpatrick Hills. Littlemill can make a strong bid for being one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. There was previously a brewery on the site dating back to the 14th century and so it is likely that distillation took place in early times. Like many Lowland distilleries, Littlemill was triple-distilled until the 1930s, when it switched to the present double-distilled product. The distillery has had a chequered past and was closed for some many years during the 1980s before re-opening under the ownership of Gibson International. The distillery ceased production in 1992 and Loch Lomond Distillers took over in 1994. The distillery remains closed, but supplies for bottling will be available for some years to come.