The Boyds were an important family of Belfast traders originating from Scotland. All along their history they retained a tradition of commerce and international relations as well as emigration. They were present in Bordeaux as early as the 17th century and it was Jacques Boyd who gave his name to the vineyard in Cantenac when he acquired it in 1754.
The estate was subsequently purchased, in 1806, by John Lewis Brown, of Château Brown, who was related to the Boyd family by marriage. The 1855 classification consecrated the Cru of Boyd-Cantenac and its capacity to produce, over more than one century, wines of international class.
Since 1932, Château Boyd-Cantenac has belonged to the Guillemet family.