The vineyard of Chateau Filhot dates back to 1630, but the chateau itself was not built until 1709 when Romain de Filhot of Verdoulet took ownership. At this time, the wines of Filhot were compared favourably behind those of Chateau d'Yquem, but fell out of favour over the next century. After the French Revolution, the estate was merged with Pineau du Rey and a few years later, was awarded the label of a Deuxemes Crus of Sauternes.
The 62 hectares of the Filhot estate are planted to 60% Semillon, 36% Sauvignon Blanc and 4% Muscadelle. Usually, the wines are blended in roughly similar proportions, the higher percentage of Sauvignon Blanc offering a drier style of Sauternes wine.