Michel Bouchard founded the Burgundian wine estate in 1731, ranking it among the oldest in the region. The Chateau de Beaune, built by King Louis XI in the 15th century and the centrepiece of Domaine Bouchard Pere & Fils, was bought by Bernard Bouchard in 1820. The deep underground cellars of this grand chateau provide perfect storage conditions for wine, displaying the bottled history of the estate. The estate remained in family hands for almost three hundred years, acquiring a huge amount of land, until it was sold to Joseph Henriot, of Champagne fame, in 1995.
Domaine Bouchard Pere & Fils is the largest domaine in the Cote d'Or, representing 130 hectares of vines, most of which are classed Premier Cru and Grand Cru.