It is in the heart of the Montagne de Reims that Champagne Vilmart established their vineyard in the 1890s, a few miles south of Reims, in the small village of Rilly la Montagne.
Vilmart owns and organically works 11 hectares of prime Premier Cru vineyards in and around the village of Rilly. The vineyards are planted with 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir. Yields and working practises are strictly controlled. The terroir is composed of 35-year-old parcels, some are older than 50 years which are exclusively used to produce the wine "Coeur de Cuvée".
Ampelos is the Ancient Greek for "vine". Today the Ampelos Charter authenticates the approach of their wine-growing business which is involved in a quality, eco-friendly sustainable viticulture, Vilmart is committed not to use any chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides.
Here are the fundamental points of the Ampelos Charter:
• To ensure consumer protection
• To maintain an harmonious balance between soil and vine
• To promote eco-friendly solutions in our production
• To maintain the quality of air and water
• To connect wine growers involved in their jobs
• To offer an intact wealth to future generations
• To preserve natural balances